Saturday, March 15, 2014

Updated dreams: marathon

Inspiration from: Pinterest


I don’t know how and when it happened that it’s March already. Almost three months since the beginning of 2014. I still remember December when I was looking forward to this new and fresh start to 2014, being thankful for all good that happened in 2013 and hoping to make 2014 even better. 

I made some goals for myself, for my career, studies, personal life and because Q1 is almost over, I thought it might be a good idea to check how are things going. You can name them however you want, it can be “goal”, “resolution”, “to-do-list” or “dream” for you. But I had one dream: to complete marathon this year. Quick update about it: it is out of my list for this year. So…

The plan was… 

…to run a marathon in Brisbane in August this year. My boyfriend had a friend at work. He was from Scotland. His wife was from Australia. They were living with their kids in France. Amazing people. After some time, they decided to move back to Australia. Guys were jogging together from time to time, they did some trial runs and before they left, his friend said: “you will come to Brisbane one day and we will do a marathon together”. Half-joking, half-serious but still sober at that time, my lovely boyfriend said “deal!”.  Fast forward, three years later, I was on the “marche populaire” in our neighbourhood with my boyfriend when we started talking about that. I don’t know, maybe too much fresh air, maybe I was too tired to pay attention to what I was saying but in the end we thought “come on, why not?!”. He called his friend the next day and he said “it’s amazing idea, let’s do that!”. It was around September/October 2013.

In the meantime…

…my lovely boyfriend started his training. My lovely myself got sick and spend October fighting with a cold for three weeks. Then I wasted November on eating antibiotic and taking steroids and when I thought that things were going to change in December, I had awful accident in the office when I fell on my knee. Another cold and antibiotics in January. All in all, I missed four months of the training. 

Reality check is…

…I started “jogging” in February. My very first jogging was on 3rd February. 1,29km in 10 minutes and 10 seconds done in five intervals: 1 minute of jogging, 1 minute of walking and again… 1 minute of jogging, 1 minute of walking. I did it but in my fourth minute of jogging I was thinking that I’m too young to die and how I was going to call the ambulance if I don’t speak French. Ok, I know, it sounds dramatic and maybe it wasn’t that bad but it was not the best experience, to say the least.
But I didn’t give up. I went for two more runs, seven intervals: 1 minute of jogging, 1 minute of walking. I did it! With burning pain in my chest, red face like fire-brigade’s car but it was done! And… I was done as well. My body not used to exercise and after such a long brake, just said “no”. I had the worst pain in my both knees I’ve ever experienced in my life. I was “taking it easy”, I was avoiding stairs, walking too fast, I was using special gel three times in a day. After one week break I was back in the game. 

It’s mid-March already and I completed 13 runs together. My work-out yesterday was 2 minutes of jogging, 1 minute of walking, repeated six times. 2,42km done. Just as a reminder, my first run was 1,29km. Still with a red face but without pain in the chest, sore muscles next day and wondering if what I feel now in my body is the first sign of heart attack/stroke/put whatever you want here.
I will do 2.5 minutes of jogging and 1 minute of walking as of next week. When I’m not jogging, I cycle on my stationary bike at home. Work-out like that takes around 30 minutes and I complete 10-11km in that time. I know I can do more but I don’t want to push myself too hard, I just want to avoid problems with my knees like I had in February. 

New update is…

…I won’t sign up for a marathon. But it doesn’t mean I gave up this project in Australia. My plan is to complete half marathon. It will be still a big challenge for me but I believe it is realistic and doable for me. I have 4,5 months for preparations. So, that’s the plan. That’s my updated dream. Thoughts, prayers and sending good karma are more than appreciated ;)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I did C25K a couple of years ago and found it incredibly helpful to build up my stamina and .. well, get me off the couch. I am not a runner and especially not a marathon runner, but I do admire people like you who are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. C25K, hahaha, sounds so cool! I really do believe that everything is good to move us from the couch :) I'm not a marathon runner (yet) but having a clear goal in the head helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete